Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Belgium




This past weekend Melissa and I visited Belgium. We stayed in Waterloo, Belgium with Melissa’s cousin’s pastor. The Benjamin family was so welcoming and loving; it was a nice change to get away from our tiny Parisian apartment, as well as a change in scenery from Paris. I can’t explain how amazing it was to sleep in a queen size bed and wake up to breakfast every morning on the table. Oh and did I mention they had Starbucks coffee. I have been missing Starbucks like crazy… and of course this weekend I got my fix. Yes, Melissa and I have a French press but… A) it is nothing like the coffee that Breann makes and B) somehow I managed to break the French press.
Friday, Melissa and I went to the Waterloo battlefields. We climbed to the top of the monument and must have sat at the top for an hour in almost complete silence. Sure, I wasn’t on top of the world, but it’s moments like these that make me so thankful that I have had the opportunity to travel around Europe.

Saturday
On Saturday, Melissa’s friend’s cousin Dana picked us up from Waterloo and took us in to downtown Brussels. Brussels is such a unique city, as well as a beautiful one.  It was so nice to have someone with us that knew there way around the city. We visited the city museum, the chocolate museum, and the brewery museum. Of course I was not going to leave these museums without sampling some Belgium chocolate and beer. Dana kept telling us that we had to try the Belgium waffles. We decided we needed two waffles that day just to see if the second waffle was as good. ;) The waffles are not like the waffles that Americans pop into the toaster, they were indescribable. After sightseeing around Brussels we made a quick stop by Dana’s house. Just when we thought that Dana couldn’t be more nice, she sends us back with a bag full of goodies. She called the bag “hodge podge” but we call it gold. J I was so excited to get some TEAVANA, I’ve missed it almost as much as Starbucks.

Sunday
Sunday was a day of rest for Melissa and I…literally. Mr. Benjamin took us to Villers Abbey before he dropped us off at the train station. Although our time was limited there because we did not want to miss our train, I still managed to get plenty of pictures… somehow I manage to do that everywhere I go though. Ha J





















From Paris with Love,
 Marcy





No comments:

Post a Comment