Monday, October 18, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the Wall...

     It’s a peaceful evening here in my little Parisian apartment, or “flat” as the French like to call it. Nothing is better to come home after a day of classes and tests, and unwind. Unwinding usually consists of some hot tea or coffee, some music (lately the Decemberists), and of course, seeing the beautiful face of Mr. Mac. Tonight is also the first evening I have not heard La Roux thumping my ceiling from the neighbors upstairs. God bless you for having great taste in music, but really, how many times does one need to listen to “Bulletproof” a day? I much prefer listening to Dylan and the Shins like you had playing the other night… okay?

    This evening I stuck around school a little later than usual to listen to Professor Jean Pierre’s special lecture “Monsters.” I could not miss this… I love Halloween, and no not in a creepy worship Satan kind of way Melissa. Halloween is mysterious, cryptic, and interesting, what’s not to love? Among all of the “monsters” through history he discussed and showed on slides, there was one that completely captivated me. Ever wondered who inspired the evil queen in Snow White? Place a picture of Joan Crawford beside the queen and you will know. It all makes sense... the long fingernails, the mirror on the wall, the evil stepmother, the creators of Snow White had a clear inspiration for what they envisioned when creating the Evil Queen in Snow White. When I think of Joan Crawford I automatically think of the movie “Mommy Dearest,” which is enough to give anyone the correct persona of Joan Crawford.

     I realize my blogs updates sometimes jump from one topic to another, I can’t help it… annoying or not, it’s me. This past Saturday, Mel, Lana, and I took a break from studying and braved the cold to venture out to a tearoom I had read about called Les Deux Abeilles owned and ran by a mother and daughter. Most of the desert recipes have been passed down in the family. Supposedly they have the best lemon meringue tart in Paris… I had to decipher whether this was correct or not. The lemon meringue tart was blissful. I don’t see how one finds it possible to diet while in Europe; there is so much wonderful food! Melissa and I are determined to start eating better. Everyone told us we would have the time of our life in Paris, no one told us the ugly truth about Nutella crepes or French bread.

From Paris with Love,
Marcy








No comments:

Post a Comment